One of the first foods I conquered was banana bread. I went through a Junior League phase – if you haven’t explored their cookbooks, you’re depriving yourself unnecessarily. Any of them. Seriously – just go get one. Anyway, I found a great banana bread recipe, but it wasn’t particularly healthy. This isn’t either, but it’s healthier. And we’re obsessed – we make this about once a month. So this is the world’s best banana bread, and we do say so ourselves!
World's Best Banana Bread
Have a few gross bananas sitting around, the ones that are completely black and you can't believe you didn't throw them out four days ago? Those, my friend, are meant for this loaf. We always do a double batch.
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 big cup mashed bananas (very imprecise
- 3 or so)
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, for topping
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Step 2 In a large bowl. cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. (Use the mixer!)
- Step 3 Add eggs, one at a time.
- Step 4 Add dry ingredients next, followed by sour cream or yogurt, bananas and vanilla.
- Step 5 When the batter is smooth, pour into the loaf pan and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Step 6 Bake about an hour, until a toothpick comes out clean when you stick it in the top.