We live in Wisconsin, which means counting on the weather will always be a bad choice. Need proof? Dave and I got married outside in early October. On Friday night, it was in the high 70s and beautiful. On Saturday, it was just below freezing. Clear skies though! Sigh. We were celebrating a friend, and wanted to do dinner outside, celebrating the late but finally arriving warm weather. So of course, it was stormy and cold. No worries! This meal can be easily made on the grill, but we brought the barbecue flavors inside.
Basil Corn and Zucchini
I've noticed how enthusiastic everyone is about veggies when we lead with, say, BBQ ribs. It's a nonstarter. But something fresh and flavorful is a great balance. Here's one of our favorite - and fast! - sides. This is equally delicious on the grill. Just char the veggies in a grill basket next to your main, then toss with basil etc. afterwards.
- 12 small zucchini
- 6-8 cups corn kernels (frozen works fine)
- olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large bunch fresh basil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- juice from 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- Step 1 Chop the zucchini into 1″ quartered rounds.
- Step 2 Heat oil over medium high heat in a large saucepan. Add garlic. Add zucchini, and don’t stir too much, allowing it to get some brown spots. Cook 5 minutes or so, until zucchini is crunchy but tender, and the seeds are starting to show. Pour zucchini into a serving bowl.
- Step 3 Add corn to the same pot, and saute for 1-3 minutes, until thawed if frozen, and bright yellow. Add to zucchini in the serving bowl.
- Step 4 Squeeze basil gently to release oils. Chop into the veggies with kitchen shears. Add the cheese, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, warm or cold.